Kidney stones are hard deposits of minerals and salts that form in your kidneys. They can be painful to pass and can cause damage to your kidneys if left untreated. There are several things you can do to help prevent kidney stones from forming, including:
- Stay hydrated: Drinking plenty of fluids, especially water, can help flush out the minerals and salts that can lead to kidney stones. Aim for at least 8-12 cups of water per day.
- Eat a healthy diet: A diet that is high in fruits, vegetables, and whole grains can help prevent kidney stones. Avoid high-salt, high-protein foods, as they can increase your risk of developing kidney stones.
- Reduce your intake of oxalate-rich foods: Oxalate is a compound that can contribute to the formation of kidney stones. Foods high in oxalate include nuts, spinach, and chocolate.
- Limit your intake of animal protein: High levels of animal protein in your diet can increase your risk of kidney stones. Instead, opt for plant-based proteins like beans, lentils, and tofu.
- Avoid sugary drinks: Sugary drinks like soda and sports drinks can increase your risk of developing kidney stones. Stick to water, unsweetened tea, and other low-sugar beverages.
It’s also important to talk to your doctor or a registered dietitian if you have a history of kidney stones. They can help you create a dietary plan that is tailored to your specific needs and can help reduce your risk of developing kidney stones.