If you have kidney stones, it’s important to follow a healthy and balanced diet that is low in salt, sugar, and animal protein. Some dietary recommendations for managing kidney stones include:
- Increase your intake of fluids, particularly water. Staying hydrated can help flush out any excess substances in your kidneys and prevent stones from forming.
- Eat plenty of fruits and vegetables, which are high in fiber and nutrients and can help prevent kidney stones.
- Choose whole grains over refined grains, such as white bread and pasta.
- Limit your intake of salt and sugar, as both can contribute to the formation of kidney stones.
- Choose lean protein sources, such as fish, chicken, and tofu, over red meat and processed meats.
- If you are prone to calcium oxalate stones, you may want to limit your intake of foods high in oxalates, such as spinach, nuts, chocolate, and beets.
It’s important to work with your healthcare provider or a registered dietitian to determine the best dietary approach for managing your kidney stones.