There are several potential causes of an itchy scalp and hair loss, and the best course of treatment will depend on the underlying cause. Here are some general steps you can take to help treat an itchy scalp and hair loss:
- Try using a gentle, sulfate-free shampoo and conditioner to cleanse your scalp and hair. Avoid using harsh chemicals or hot water, as these can further irritate your scalp and cause further hair loss.
- Use a scalp treatment or oil to nourish your scalp and hair. Options include tea tree oil, coconut oil, and argan oil. Massage the treatment into your scalp, then cover your hair with a shower cap or towel and leave it on for at least 30 minutes before rinsing it out.
- Avoid styling products and tools that may be drying out your scalp and hair, such as hot rollers, curling irons, and hair dryers.
- If you have dandruff or another scalp condition, use a dandruff shampoo or other medicated shampoo to help treat the problem.
- Eat a healthy, balanced diet that includes plenty of fruits, vegetables, and protein to support healthy hair growth.
- Avoid tight hairstyles that pull on your hair and scalp, as these can cause traction alopecia (hair loss due to damage from pulling).
- If your hair loss is severe or does not improve with self-care measures, it is important to see a dermatologist or other healthcare provider for a proper diagnosis and treatment. They may recommend medications or other treatments to help manage your condition.